[infinispan-dev] JOPR and managing Infinispan

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Fri Jul 17 15:26:59 EDT 2009

So while in Stuttgart presenting at the JUG there, I had a chance to
catch up with Heiko and discuss some details of upcoming management/
admin features for Infinispan.

Immediately, we have a JOPR plugin that allows JOPR to manage
Infinispan instances.

Where this does need to improve though is that the JOPR plugin is
built with an XML definitions file that is hand written.

* This should be generated as a part of the build process, by parsing
@ManagedAttribute and at ManagedOperation annotations in Infinispan.
* @ManagedAttribute needs to contain more information:
	* Type.  JOPR has a concept of different types:
		* informational types (labels that cannot be compared or measured),
e.g., Version number
		* measurable types (numeric) that can be compared, plotted on a
graph, visualised in other ways, e.g., cache size
		* two sub-types of measurable types: incrementing and decrementing,
e.g., number of commits
		* a timing-type, (represented in milliseconds as a long), e.g.,
average replication time
	* This should be encapsulated as an enum and declared on each managed
attribute so JOPR can provide better visuals on these
	* Some metrics need to be resettable to be meaningful, and the JOPR
plugin would need to reset these whenever the metrics are collected.
E.g., average replication time would need to be reset and recalculated
every time JOPR picks up the last average and plots it on a graph.
* @ManagedAttribute also needs to be able to describe units of
measurement
	* JOPR has some allowed values here and these should be encapsulated
in an enum.  E.g., milliseconds.  Allows JOPR to display the
appropriate widgets based on the unit of data being displayed.

Thoughts and comments on these, before I start writing up JIRAs for
the above?

Cheers
manik at jboss.org
Lead, Infinispan