[infinispan-dev] DeadlockDetection (DLD) - benchmarks and status

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Wed Jul 22 06:06:40 EDT 2009

Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 22 Jul 2009, at 10:42, Mircea Markus wrote:
>
>> Manik Surtani wrote:
>>> <SNIP />

>>> Sorry yes, I meant lockAcquisitionTimeout in my prev. comment.
>> In this case lowering lock acquisition timeout would result in
>> rollbacks of non-deadlocked txs as well, so not sure the overall
>> outcome is better.
>
> My point is that any gain (measured as a percentage or a factor) is
> directly related to the lock acquisition timeout.  Which is, in turn,
> hugely application-specific.  :)

>>> Well, the numbers are only real given the rate of colliding
>>> transactions (versus non-colliding ones) and the lock acquisition
>>> timeout that you used.  Which is artificial, or at best specific to
>>> a certain use case.  But either way, not generic enough to publish
>>> since it would lead people to believe that they can expect a 500%
>>> performance boost when using deadlock detection, and get really
>>> pissed off when they *only* get a 25% performance boost since most
>>> of their transactions don't collide anyway.  :-)
>> What about a pool of 50 objects? Or 100?
>
> Again, this is entirely artificial.  How many of these should
> collide?  Is it realistic?  :-)
I think these numbers give a better understanding to the user than
saying "DLD might/will have a significant performance increase in an
environment where you have a significant collision". Also the test
environment would be clearly described, so no user would expect an 500%
increase out of the blue.