[infinispan-dev] OOB for commits

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Mon May 4 06:01:24 EDT 2009

On 1 May 2009, at 01:02, Mircea Markus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently we are sending all the commit messages flagged as OOB, not
> the same about prepares.
> Guess the reason for this is to make commits move quicker on the
> wire - am I right?
> If so, what about doing the same for the rest of tx messages
> (prepares and rollbacks)?

Prepares should still happen in sequence.  And hence the reason not to
use OOB for prepares (e.g., TX1 and TX2 obtain locks in that order on
N1.  They need to acquire locks in the same order on N2).  Commits, on
the other hand, just release locks and this can happen in any order.
And hence OOB - so that concurrent prepares queueing up to be
processed don't hold up a commit coming in.

Agreed that rollbacks should be OOB too.

Cheers
manik at jboss.org
Lead, Infinispan
Lead, JBoss Cache