[infinispan-dev] Management interface

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Tue May 5 09:53:40 EDT 2009

This is related to

	https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-71

and I'm starting this thread to discuss how we should approach this,
given that Heiko Rupp from the JOPR team's just joined the mail
list.  :-)

So here is what I see as a need: a GUI console (probably based on
JOPR) that would:

* provide info on the state of the cluster
* be able to locate entries via some interface
* visualise key statistics of each cluster node - memory consumption,
cache hit/miss ratio, transaction success rate, network-level metrics
such as throughput, etc
* perform management of the cluster - shut down, start nodes
* manage configuration?

The last one is probably optional.  The thing to keep in mind is that
cache instances may not run in the same environment as an app server
so even if the console requires an app server, the individual cache
nodes should not.  Of course, if the cache is used within an app
server, any advantages that come from that could be made use of, such
as communication of common management information in an app server
cluster for the embedded console.

For starters, Heiko, how does JOPR manage remote instances?  Does it
require its own agent to be loaded in each remote VM with its own
communication channel?

Cheers
Manik

manik at jboss.org