[infinispan-dev] Management interface

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Wed May 6 06:49:28 EDT 2009

On 6 May 2009, at 11:14, Adrian Cole wrote:

> This is interesting.  What is important, afterall?  In the case of a
> grid, it is more like a quorum that allows operations to continue
> without data loss.  I'm not sure if individual instances matter as
> complete sets of EC2s could go up or down and there still be no
> effect on cluster as a whole.
>
> Would it not be the cache instances, or jgroups configuration that
> are the most important managed resource in this case?

I tend to agree with Adrian, although if an individual node were to be
'bounced' for whatever reason, naming as far as management is
concerned could be something statically configured.  E.g., we could
introduce a configuration element for node name, such that the
management console would see information scoped on a few things:

+ app-1-cluster
   + data-cache
      + node1
      + node2
      + node3
   + some-other-cache
      + node1
      + node2
      + node3
+ app-2-cluster
- etc -

Current configuration allows you to specify cache name and cluster
name.  Node name could be added.  E.g.:

<global>
   <transport clusterName="app-1-cluster" nodeName="node1">
   </transport>
</global>
<cache name="data-cache">
</cache>

If nodeName is not specified then network address is used.  These
details could then be exposed via JMX for collection by the JOPR agent.

So assuming that solves the naming problem, I still think the main
problem is discovery.

So it makes sense that the console talks to agents, and agents talk to
the process being run locally, which is fine.  But how does the
console find agents?  :-)  Or is the console's location statically
configured on each agent so the agent reports its location on
startup?  This makes sense to me...

manik at jboss.org
Lead, Infinispan
Lead, JBoss Cache