[infinispan-dev] ISPN-29 and a "custom protocol"

Alex Kluge java_kluge at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 16 02:25:46 EST 2009

Hi,

  It is worth mentioning that I have a full implementation of a
 client-server binary protocol used for jboss-cache, which is similar
 to the current project and can be easily adapted to it. There are a
 number of interesting points

   - Built on Apache MINA framework, but the layers are well separated,
     so replacing one would not be too difficult.
   - Language neutral binary protocol (non Java clients are planned).
   - Integrated into Jboss Cache as an L2 cache, but easily used
     independently.
   - Performance is quite reasonable, with request/response cycles on
     the order of 600 microseconds for small request/response.
   - Easily extensible, a different codec can be supplied to support
     different protocols. Some refactoring could be done to make this
     much easier.
   - Non trivially tested already.
   - Inherently asynchronous - synchronous responses are achieved by
     immediately waiting on the response future object.
   - Server side consistent hashing, clients connect to any server.

 There is raw source at
   http://www.vizitsolutions.com/org.jboss.cache.tcpcache.tar.gz

 I'll see about some explanations and examples over the next weeks.

 This was intended to be contributed back to the Jboss Cache project from the beginning, hence the organization into jboss.cache packages. Oh, and
I never gave it a snazzy name - I just called it the Jboss Cache binary
protocol.

                                    Alex