[infinispan-dev] Exposing transient/mortality information externally

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Nov 30 16:49:48 EST 2009

Be cautious about exposing cache contents (even just keys) via JMX. If
you do, make it something that people can turn off, without turning off
the basic JMX interface. Reason is the same as in recent discussions
about providing access to the cache itself via JMX. People who deploy a
JMX-enabled cache are not necessarily expecting that any code that can
access the MBean server can also inspect cache contents. For example, a
simple session id string is a likely key, and session ids are
essentially a security token that shouldn't be exposed willy-nilly.

In general, for the Hibernate 2LC use case, IMHO it's better if the
Hibernate statistics API is improved, rather than having people access
the cache directly. How the data is stored in the cache should be an
internal implementation detail that can be changed when needed. That's
part of why your addition of eviction configuration to Hibernate
Configuration properties was so nice.

All that said, if information like

 > [Person#1:[created:123456,lifespan:120000,maxIdle:60000,lasUsed:13456],
 > Person#2:[created:234567,lifespan:120000,maxIdle:60000,lasUsed:24567],
 > ...]

is readily available internally, having a mechanism for authorized users
to get at it sounds pretty cool. :-)

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering