[infinispan-dev] ISPN-118 - DefaultCacheManager already marked as MBean

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Thu Sep 10 11:28:41 EDT 2009

On 09/10/2009 04:42 PM, Mircea Markus wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2009, at 5:55 PM, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>
>> </snip>
>>
>> Thoughts?
> Wouldn't it be simpler to only have one way of starting the cache
> (through CM)?
> IMO, after the cache is stopped the system should be in the same state
> as before starting it: no jmx registered. This would keep things
> clearer.

It would be simpler in the sense that there's only one way to start it
but I'm not sure from an ease of use point of view. Let me explain.

Let's say you wanna a cache called "galdercache" for the 1st time. You'd
call DefaultCacheManager.start("galdercache"), correct? Now, let's say
you stop it, so there's no trace of galdercache any more. How do you
restart it? You have to go and call
DefaultCacheManager.start("galdercache"). So now, to restart a cache,
you have to type something and you have to remember the cache name you
gave it to it.

Wouldn't be easier, from an usability perspective, to go to galdercache
MBean and call start() on the MBean directly?

This is why I think keeping the MBean around would improve usability.

>>> --
>>> Manik Surtani
>>> manik at jboss.org
>>> Lead, Infinispan