[infinispan-dev] A tip: Using a random word generator to generate uncommon test data

Michael Neale michael.neale at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 18:31:28 EDT 2009

A crazier alternative is to grab the testMethod name and use that as
part of the key/string - you can do it by getting the stack trace and
a little bit of work (I had a helper method somewhere).

Something like:
Thread.currentThread().getStackTrace()(1).getMethodName() (at the top
of the test method)-- its probably 1 as 0 would be the getStackTrace
method itself... I have found it helpful when digging through things
and I see a value from a certain test...

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Mircea Markus <mircea.markus at jboss.com> wrote:
> Another thing that helps is using the thread name. It's true that
> there are some threads created within jgroups, and these won't match
> but generally it helps.
> Before starting a test, a log message is being output - this contains
> the name of the test that is to be executed. Same after the test is
> finished. Logs look like:
> "Starting test..."
> and
> "Test Xyz failed"/"Test Xyz skipped"/"Test Xyz succeeded"
>
> On Sep 11, 2009, at 1:13 PM, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>
>> p.s. I'm currently using
>> http://watchout4snakes.com/creativitytools/RandomWord/RandomWordPlus.aspx
>>  as
>> random word generator.
>>
>> On 09/11/2009 12:12 PM, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> Looking at the Infinispan tests, I've seen plenty same keys/values
>>> repeated in loads of tests, i.e. k1, k2, v1, v2....etc, so sometimes,
>>> when you're debugging a specific tests, particularly when running the
>>> whole testsuite, it's hard to pint point the data related to your
>>> test
>>> since same key/values are used by several tests.
>>>
>>> So, to try to help with finding the data related to my tests, I'm
>>> trying
>>> to use random word generator to generate uncommon or obscure words
>>> that
>>> I can use in the tests. Doing this allows me to quickly find my
>>> data in
>>> the logs, i.e. "key-isoprene"
>>>
>>> I don't know whether other people are interesting in using a similar
>>> method but at least for me, it helps.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> Galder Zamarreño