[infinispan-dev] Setting JGroups channel name

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Thu Sep 17 04:40:52 EDT 2009

On Sep 16, 2009, at 10:29 PM, Vladimir Blagojevic wrote:

> On 09-09-10 1:41 PM, Mircea Markus wrote:
>> Good point. What we can do is use a placeholder ${nodeName:default}
>> and if one specifies it through -DnodeName will be taken into
>> account.
>> It's much easier going through logs and looking for nodes named:
>> "aaaa", "bbb" and "ccc" rather than host:port1, host2:port2 etc.
>> Actually we even have a script that does that, so that we can debug
>> logs more easily :)
>>

> Yes, but as soon as you have two cache managers in the same VM you are
> screwed, right?
Two cache managers means two different global configs, i.e. the
possibility to give different names.
If for whatever reasons, the user needs to use exactly the same config
file for two CacheManagers within the same JVM than he won't be able
to use this feature, and and channel instance will default to
host:port, as per jgroup's default. It's up to the user to make sure
the node names are unique. Even more, if he doesn't want to use this
feature he doesn't need to, as the nodeName (I think is rather about
the name of the node rather than name of the channel) attribute (or
however will it be named) would be optional.