[infinispan-dev] Evaluating Infinispan

Michael Neale michael.neale at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 19:52:26 EDT 2009

Maybe it is the tree cache compatability layer, but the infinispan
Cache "new" class seems quite nice, generics wise.
Perhaps you have identified some JIRA worthy issues specific to the
tree cache layer? (as it probably doesn't get as much attention at the
moment?)

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Krzysztof Sobolewski
<Krzysztof.Sobolewski at atm.com.pl> wrote:
> I'm currently evaluating Infinispan for our internal project (porting from
> JBoss Cache) and I have some comments/issues - and probably more to come. I
> figure I should post them before Infinispan leaves beta stage :) If they're
> JIRA-worthy, I can also repost them there.
>
> First, something small: TreeCache.getCache() (I obviously first try to use the
> tree compatibility layer) returns Cache<K,V>, which is obviously wrong, as the
> TreeCacheImpl returns Cache (raw type) which is in fact
> AtomicMapCache<NodeKey,Object> (and really, really in fact it's
> AtomicMapCache<NodeKey,AtomicMap<?,?>).
>
> As a side note, I don't really like how the getAtomicMap() overrides the V
> type parameter of Cache. The cache is supposed to store and return V's, but
> this methods forcibly puts AtomicHashMap as values. I say this will lead to
> problems. Maybe it's better to make AtomicMapCache<K> (one type parameter)
> extend Cache<K,AtomicMap<?,?>> (maybe even with optional type parameters for
> AtomicMap).
>
> As another side note, I can see that you're not big fans of generics :)
>
> Second issue I wanted to mention, which also exists in JBoss Cache but I never
> got around to reporting a bug, is that the JDBC cache stores use lock
> striping. I've run into *lots* of trouble with lock striping (here and in MVCC
> lock manager) so I always turn it off (or reimplement, if there's no option for
> that). Increasing the concurrency level is not an option because whatever it
> is, it's still not correct (as in: non-zero probability of collision), at
> least for my use cases.
>
> So... Can I ask for an option to not do lock striping... anywhere? :)
> -KS

Michael D Neale
home: www.michaelneale.net
blog: michaelneale.blogspot.com