[infinispan-dev] Update on qi4j Infinispan Store

Philippe Van Dyck pvdyck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 07:37:06 EDT 2010

Hi guys,

just a short update about the status of the Infinispan (S3) Store:
-Code is ugly, not production ready, but running flawlessly
-Infinispan memory cache eviction mechanism is based on a memory
threshold (i.e. you specify 100MB of memory for the cache in the store
config)
-RHQ monitoring with Infinispan plugin works (beautifully)
-Entries are gzipped on S3 (patch now included in infinispan-alpha1)
-Wicket load balancing is done with infinispan (custom pagestore)
-I use a directory structure for qi4j identities ("Entity1/key1") and
there is a webdav interface to it (I can mount qi4j's store in Finder)
-EC2 S3_PING is used in jgroups to join the cluster of qi4j stores
-Each qi4j uow is transaction backed with rollback support (I
currently use Atomikos as TM - not fully tested)
-S3 (blobstore) acces is using Infinispan synchronous and transacted mode
-EC2 images only contain the wicket web interface with a jetty https
connector / when added to amazon elastic load balancer, infinispan
connects to the cache cluster and wicket begins to server load
balanced requests - yep, just like that

Current performance, as reported by RHQ, from EC2 to S3, is around
60ms per read/write from S3 (rough average).
I have not yet done elastic load balancing load tests with loadStorm.

I don't know any NOSQL alternative offering a permanent transacted
monitored compressed Finder-mounted clustered load-balanced store ;-)

Phil