[infinispan-dev] ISPN-384 - Implementing hash distribution aware headers in Hot Rod

Galder Zamarreno galder at jboss.org
Fri Apr 23 10:10:00 EDT 2010

----- "Manik Surtani" <manik at jboss.org> wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2010, at 12:10, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>
> > Ok, what about the rest of the points made?
> >
> > I.e. Adding int getPosition(Address a) to ConsistentHash interface.
> Can we do that in 4.1? Or do we have to wait for 5.0?
>
> 4.1 is fine.  Also, I presume by getPosition() you really mean
> getHashId(), which will be between 0 and HASH_SPACE (as opposed to a
> relative position meaning, before AddressX and after AddressY)?

Indeed I meant that. The hash position or id, I'll go with getHashId().

> > Ordering of servers in views returned: For topology changes, ordered
> in started order and for hash aware topology changes, servers ordered
> in ascending hash wheel position?
>
> Well, we *could* maintain this order, but I don't think it should be
> mandated since order can easily be regained by sorting on the hash
> ids.

Sure, it could always be ordered. I assumed that the client would need to do some ordering after applying the hash on a key and trying to decide which server to send invocation too. Hence, my idea of giving the list ordered to the client would be to make their life easier.

Then again, while implementing detection of crashed members in Hot Rod to update the Hot Rod topology information, I found that not providing order guarantees could make the internals more flexible. For example, we could maintain this topology as a map rather than a list, hence making more efficient to discover whether a member has crashed or not. The efficiency improvement comes from the fact that I checked for crashed members by listening to JGroups view changes and when new member list is smaller than the new one, checking whether any of the nodes that is no longer part of the view is still present in the Hot Rod topology list. Hence, this requires traversing the list which is O(n).

So, to summarise, I prefer not to mandate any order for the time being.