[infinispan-dev] Use of Inifnispan across data centers

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Thu Aug 5 06:16:42 EDT 2010

On 5 Aug 2010, at 08:29, Bela Ban wrote:

> Yes, I know #1 sucks, but until we've implemented the more advanced
> solutions (e.g. RELAY in JGroups, data center replication in
> Infinispan), this seems to me a workable solution that could be
> implemented in a short time.

Would this be usable though?  The thing with #1 is that you will force all traffic over a WAN link.  So even if you have 4 owners, 2 in each DC, the "local" replication, there will be no way to write to the local backup synchronously and the remote backups asynchronously.  I.e., either all comms are sync or all comms are async.

Maybe this is something we can add in Infinispan.  I.e., with node hints (https://jira.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-180) (*) we could detect which recipients are local and which are remote, and accordingly split the RPC into 2: a sync local RPC and an async remote RPC.

Cheers
Manik

(*) Node hinting isn't strictly necessary; the naming convention you mentioned earlier would work in this regard as well, although I think these hints is probably a better universal solution since we need this for other things anyway.

manik at jboss.org
Lead, Infinispan
Lead, JBoss Cache
http://www.infinispan.org