[infinispan-dev] Wiki: Infinispan clustered asynchronous options

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Thu Aug 19 04:49:42 EDT 2010

On Aug 17, 2010, at 4:23 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> Hi Galder,
> nice to see this kind of docs getting written.
> I just have two doubts left:
>
> 1) Could you elaborate on the effect on return values of the cache
> methods wen enabling any kind asynchronous configuration? In which
> cases are the return values reliable?
> I assume that all return values of all methods are safe unless I
> enable the relevant flag.

Yeah, the return values are reliable. In a replicated environment, this is simple cos the previous value is already available locally. In a distributed environment, a synchronous get() is done if not available locally regardless of whether the comms are sync or async. So, unless you Flag.SKIP_REMOTE_LOOKUP, the return values are safe. I'll add a comment on this.

> 2) last sentence seems incomplete "Similar to async marshalling, using
> this API can lead to ordering" [issues] missing?

Fixed.

> Cheers,
> Sanne
>
> 2010/8/17 Galder Zamarreño <galder at redhat.com>:
>> I've created a wiki explaining the different asynchronous options, see http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-15725
>>
>> Feedback appreciated :)
>>
>> p.s. Thanks to Vladimir for the feedback already provided
>> --
>> Galder Zamarreño
>> Sr. Software Engineer
>> Infinispan, JBoss Cache