[infinispan-dev] Distributed tasks - specifying task input

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Thu Dec 16 07:07:37 EST 2010

On 16 Dec 2010, at 11:34, Vladimir Blagojevic wrote:

> On 10-12-16 7:25 AM, Manik Surtani wrote:
>>
>> I think it makes more sense on CacheManager because we might have a task operating on data of a few caches, not just one. So to be safe and not sorry I'd go with CacheManager. newDistributedTask can have parameters to specify which cache(s) to use.
>>
>> So you'd do CacheManager.newDistributedTask(task, Map<String, K> cacheNamesAndKeys)?
>>

> No, I'd shift these parameters to DistributedTask#execute unless we absolutely need them at for task creation. Let's keep factory method for DistributedTask as simple as possible. I'd rather have a single factory method and develop and grow DistributedTask API independently of CacheManager than have multiple overloaded factory methods for DistributedTask.

Hmm.  Maybe it is better to not involve an API on the CacheManager at all.  Following JSR166y [1], we could do:

DistributedForkJoinPool p = DisributedForkJoinPool.newPool(cache); // I still think it should be on a per-cache basis

DistributedTask<MyResultType, K, V> dt = new DistributedTask<MyResultType, K, V>() {

    public void map(Map.Entry<K, V> entry, Map<K, V> context) {
        // select the entries you are interested in.  Transform if needed and store in context
    }

    public MyResultType reduce(Map<Address, Map<K, V>> contexts) {
        // aggregate from context and return value.
    };

};

MyResultType result = p.invoke(dt, key1, key2, key3); // keys are optional.

What I see happening is:

* dt is broadcast to all nodes that hold either of {key1, key2, key3}.  If keys are not provided, broadcast to all.
* dt.map() is called on each node, for each key specified (if it exists on the local node).
* Contexts are sent back to the calling node and are passed to dt.reduce()
* Result of dt.reduce() passed to the caller of p.invoke()

What do you think?

[1] http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/jsr166ydocs/index.html
manik at jboss.org
twitter.com/maniksurtani