[infinispan-dev] Compressing Marshaller Wrapper

philippe van dyck pvdyck at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 06:02:34 EST 2010

Hi All,

Currently, I compress all data before sending it to the cache. Once compressed, I gain 95% of the JSonized qi4j objects.

I did some profiling during the load tests and compression is taking roughly 80% of the cpu time.
So I would like to compress only the data sent to the store, not in memory.

Looks like the Marshaller is my friend here, and I plan to write a compressing wrapper around it.

Now, when I look at it, I see two ways to wrap the compression process.

One way is with the ObjectInput / ObjectOutput but I am bothered by the reentrant flag.
The other is the ByteBuffer stuff, no concurrency problem here, but it looks like more work.

WDYT ?

Cheers,

phil