[infinispan-dev] JBoss Marshalling 1.3 series

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Sat Feb 27 15:13:39 EST 2010

For JBoss Marshalling 1.3, I'm planning on adding a new River protocol
version (3) and phasing out version 1.  As far as I'm aware, Infinispan is
using version 2, correct?

By phasing out old versions, I can reduce the number of runtime checks and
improve performance and maintainability.  However, going forward, I will
not be removing support for protocol versions which are used in
widely-deployed versions of projects which use it (Infinispan for one).

Thus, as time goes on, expect me to be pinging you guys about your input on
keeping or dropping various protocol versions.

For protocol version 3, I'm looking at some or all of the following features:

- Full Javassist proxy serialization support
- Fast serialization of more collection types
     - The JBoss Marshalling "Pair" type
     - JDK 6 collection types (Deque, NavigableSet/NavigableMap and their
implementations)
     - More collection utility wrapper types, probably including (but not
limited to):
         - Collections.checked*()
         - Collections.asLifoQueue()
         - Collections.nCopies()
         - Collections.newSetFromMap()
         - Collections.reverseOrder(*)

Please speak up if there are other features that you'd like to see.

--
- DML ☍