[infinispan-dev] Hot Rod - pt3

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Mon Jan 4 12:17:53 EST 2010

On 29 Dec 2009, at 18:56, Alex Kluge wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I hope you have all enjoyed the holiday season.
>
>  The protocol is an interesting read. There are a few things that stand
> out.
>
>  - No events. I used events, that is asynchronous messages originating
>    from the server when certain conditions are met, to notify clients
>    that data was written to the server.  This was mostly driven by the
>    need to notify an L1 cache of a write to the cache server. It would
>    be good to allow for this usage in this protocol. Note that this is
>    another case where the op code is useful to have as part of the
>    message.

Isn't this expensive?  Doesn't this mean the server has to fire off messages to each and every connected client, whether the clients are interested in these messages or not?

>  - What happens if the key or the value is not text? I have a way of
>    representing the data to allow for a wide variety of data types,
>    even allowing for arrays or maps. This will make the protocol more
>    complex, but the assumption that the data is a string is rather
>    limiting. This is already sketched out in the wiki.

There is some work around non-text data in the RESTful cache server.  Adding MIME types to any opaque data allows us to attach handlers to this data, such as XML or JSON data.  What do you have in mind?

>  - Is the full message size still there as a header field? Is this
>    necessary? It precludes you from generating messages where you
>    don't know the full size of the message beforehand. For example,
>    in the future you might want to write a map of the data in the
>    cache. I do this, and can chunk the data, thus allowing me to send
>    an arbitrarily large map. This becomes, to put it mildly, difficult
>    if you need the size of the request as a header field.

+1.  If there is a way to work without this size header that would be better.

Cheers
Manik

>                                  Thanks,
>                                       Alex

>>> 0x01 (0000 0001) -> zero lock acquisition
>>> 0x02 (0000 0010) -> cache mode local