[infinispan-dev] Hot Rod - pt2

Galder Zamarreno galder at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 05:19:29 EST 2010

On 01/04/2010 06:11 PM, Alex Kluge wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    >  >  When I implemented a similar protocol I kept
>    >  >  the response code.
>    >
>    >  I suppose you mean that you kept the opt code?
>
>    Actually I went as far as to have different codes for a
>    the request and response pairs of messages. It made debugging
>    easier as well :)

I suppose the debugging is made particularly easier in those L1 servers
where on one hand they're receiving requests from clients, and in the
other they're also receiving responses from servers.

>    >  Why would you want the error to be parsed by a different decoder?
>    The error responses are fundamentally different from a normal response,
>    and contain the reason for the error. Generally, they contain the error
>    message and the stack trace rendered to text.
>
>    The get on the response future returns a response object, and the
>    client can use instanceof to see exactly what type of response was
>    returned. Most of the time this is done within the framework.

Ok, so the error op code is also due to a decoder selection decision.
Having had a day to think about this, I think I'll go with your approach
since the impact to the response header is minimal.

>    >  >  I haven't thought too deeply on the client implementation itself...
>
>    Luckily, you have the advantage of having someone who has walked through
>    this process, more than once. :)
>
>    >  p.s. Thanks for the feedback :)
>
>    you're welcome.

Sr. Software Engineer