[infinispan-dev] Hot Rod - pt3

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Fri Jan 8 08:05:37 EST 2010

On Jan 5, 2010, at 12:04 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:

>>>  Not necessarily. There are a number of options. It wouldn't be
>>>  difficult to allow the clients to register for the events, and
>>>  then only send them to the interested clients. The events can
>>>  be sent asynchronously (a separate thread), thus they won't
>>>  delay the response to a write. Piratically speaking, they aren't
>>>  that expensive.
>>
>> I'm still not convinced by this either. What you're talking about sounds
>> like JMS to me :). Right now, the only situation where I can see this
>> being useful is for sending back cluster formation changes but we found
>> simpler way to deal with it and that doesn't require the added complexity.
>
> I think eventing is pretty important.  Especially if clients decide to add a further layer of client-side caching to prevent network lookups.
>
> I can see how they can be abused to form a JMS-like message-passing layer, but then a lot of stuff could be open to abuse.  Perhaps the events should just be restricted to notifying when a key has changed (i.e., a bit like Invalidation) but with no values/payload passed on, forcing the client to do a GET if the value was required.
Once we have the server->client notification mechanism working IMO we should allow the user to decide which notifications he wants to listen to, and not be restrictive about it. Re:key change notifications, I'm not sure that will work with the current ISP architecture: right now the notifications are local, i.e. one will only be notified by the keys changed in the local cache. So if a used want to be notified when the "account" key changed, that will only happen if he is connected to the server on which the "account" key was hashed.  Even more, if he will connect to another server, which contains "account", the notification behavior might be different, which might be confusing.
Not a protocol design expert, but is it common for this "push" approach for protocols?