[infinispan-dev] Implementing Hot Rod using Google Protocol Buffers?

Galder Zamarreno galder at jboss.org
Tue Jan 26 03:15:45 EST 2010

On 01/14/2010 05:17 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> Protocol buffers won't work as a general serialization strategy - you'd
> only be able to transmit or receive objects which are defined in terms of
> protobufs (e.g. no Serializable objects).  The upside would be the ability
> to read objects from the cache which were written in other languages.
> However, is that a common usecase?

Manik and I were discussing this last week and came to the conclusion
that as suggested by David on his 1st paragraph, using it would be tying
us up to protobufs and its limitations, including the lack of support
for other languages such as C#.

Also, the problem about handling large data is an important one,
specially since clients could be requiring to store data of any size.

So, having had a good think about this, I'd suggest we stick to the
protocol defined and do it by hand.

Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache