[infinispan-dev] Single jar zip file, what's your thoughts on it?

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Fri Jul 2 10:32:24 EDT 2010

On Jun 19, 2010, at 4:31 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 16 Jun 2010, at 11:58, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>
>> My guess is that all expert developers are going to use the
>> fine-grained jars, likely trough maven/ivy/gradle/.., but there might
>> be a lot of less-involved people which won't notice this thread or the
>> poll and would like to go for the single jar.
>
> Good point.  Makes a poll pretty useless I suppose.

Apologies for the delay getting back to this. Very good point made Sanne.

We could try to remove single jar for Infinispan 4.1 and 5.0 pre releases and see what people's reaction is.

>> That would make the poll
>> unfair, as I would vote for removing it too :P but you should choose
>
>> if you want to support less involved developers; likely improving
>> instructions about AS integration would be more helpful.
>
> Ok, ok, we get the idea.  ;)

Quick note on this. Stefano Maeste and a colleague of his have been working on an sample Infinispan app that you can deploy in AS 4.x, 5.x and 6.x. They've promised to write a wiki on this. I keep bugging them about it :)

Note that at this point I dunno whether the example is clustered or not and this is key since Infinispan uses diff JGroups to the one shipped with 4.x or 5.x, so isolation or similar would be needed here.

Finally, wrt AS integration and Infinispan 2LC, I made a very clear statement now in http://community.jboss.org/wiki/usinginfinispanasjpahibernatesecondlevelcacheprovider#Integration_with_JBoss_Application_Server

Hibernate 3.5 does not work with AS 5.x or lower (http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HHH-5304), so can't have Infinispan 2LC there.

> --
> Manik Surtani
> manik at jboss.org