[infinispan-dev] DataGrid Profile in JBoss AS

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Fri Jul 2 11:41:15 EDT 2010

See below:

On Jun 30, 2010, at 12:39 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 29 Jun 2010, at 17:15, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>
>> On 06/29/2010 09:29 AM, Manik Surtani wrote:
>>>
>>> On 29 Jun 2010, at 02:35, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>>>

> <SNIP />
>

>>> You are correct in that it is to do with a datagrid profile for EAP.  Or more specifically, something for AS (5.x?)
>>
>> Community AS 5.x is dead. There isn't even a branch for it (Jason deleted it to prevent people doing new dev on it.)
>>
>>> which would then also be tested on EAP 5.1,
>>
>> I expect this will first see the light of day via the EAP 5.1 branch. (Maybe not; see below.) That seems bizarre, but that's the way things work.
>
> I was actually expecting this to be built as a module in Infinispan's source tree, the deliverable being a ZIP file that contains a "datagrid" directory and all the necessary elements that can be run as a profile in AS/EAP 5.1.  Considering that most of the work involved would be XML config files (MC beans) and perhaps an integration class or two, I don't see the need for it to affect the AS source tree (at least not in it's current "tech preview" state).

Hmmm, I disagree actually. If this is code/configuration to integrate with AS/EAP, it should live in AS/EAP. JBoss Transactions used to AS integration within their code and this caused several issues to the AS team.

>>> and hopefully should work with minimal tweaking on AS 6.x as well.  I am assuming the bulk of the work required would be closely related to the MC though, since the profile would have to configure and launch Infinispan instances and the various server endpoints as needed, via the MC.
>>
>> Paul has worked out the details of deploying a CacheManager (a set of them actually) in AS 6. Those will be what the standard AS clustering services will use.  What's involved with setting up the server endpoints?
>
> I was hoping to target AS/EAP 5.x first and then move on to 6, but FWIW any such profile for 6 should then make use of Paul's work in deploying a CacheManager.  In the case of HotRod and Memcached, setting up an endpoint involves selecting the appropriate ProtocolServer implementation
>
> 	http://fisheye.jboss.org/browse/Infinispan/trunk/server/core/src/main/scala/org/infinispan/server/core/ProtocolServer.scala?r=1886
>
> and calling start() on it with the CacheManager to be used.

Indeed. You can find examples of instantiating either of these endpoints programmatically in either HotRod or Memcached testsuites.

> The REST endpoint is a little more tricky as it is a WAR file that Infinispan generates that would need to be deployed in a servlet container.  The current WAR file creates its own CacheManager but we can change this to look up a CacheManager from elsewhere if configured to do so (perhaps via servlet or system properties).
>
> Cheers
> --
> Manik Surtani
> manik at jboss.org