[infinispan-dev] log4j.jar in all distro

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Fri Jul 2 12:24:52 EDT 2010

Not so much about which one is more used but the fact that we ship a log4j.xml. So, people expect changes to that to work out of the box. I do at least but that's not the case with at least GUI and server modules.

Some other modules do include log4j.jar which is why when those modules are in use, logging works.

So, right now, these are the modules that ship log4j.jar:

./modules/ec2/lib/log4j-1.2.14.jar
./modules/gui/lib/log4j-1.2.14.jar
./modules/lucene-directory-demo/lib/log4j-1.2.14.jar

This is a bit wasteful cos we're shipping the same jar in diff modules. On the other hand, only when one of these modules it's used, log4j.xml changes work.

Shipping log4j.jar under root lib/ and removing these other jars would prob be better

On Jul 1, 2010, at 5:13 PM, Mircea Markus wrote:

> Not sure which one is more used: if it is log4j (which I think it is) then this way we would help the majority of people that wouldn't need to download it.
> On 1 Jul 2010, at 18:11, Manik Surtani wrote:
>
>> Hmm ... has this been a problem for people so far?
>>
>> On 1 Jul 2010, at 16:05, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>>
>>> At least Infinispan -all.zip distro does not include a log4j jar in the root lib/ directory.
>>>
>>> This means that by default it logs using JDK logging. However, we ship an etc/log4j.xml and it might not be obvious to people that they need to bring in log4j.jar to see changes being made to etc/log4j.xml having an effect.
>>>
>>> So, I'd propose to include a log4j jar in the root lib/ directory.
>>>
>>> Any objections to that?
>>> --
>>> Galder Zamarreño
>>> Sr. Software Engineer