[infinispan-dev] Standardising on property names and system parameters

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Fri Jul 9 08:09:24 EDT 2010

By using a system property, whatever you configures can only be set once per vm.
So say your server could only be run once per vm. You could avoid that simply by using the war/servlet approach of defining application-scoped properties (web.xml).

Also system properties are hell to setup for operation people, they need to hack whatever run.sh script to set things up on each deployment.
It also has potentially unexpected side effect when you deploy app2 next to app1 and all of the sudden it behaves differently than if you deploy it next to app3.

Embedded runtime is quite en vogue, you're cutting yourself from that as well.

For your test suite, do whatever you want , it's your problem, it's not exposed to your users :)

On 9 juil. 2010, at 12:03, Galder Zamarreño <galder at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> I have seen a number of places in the codebase where we take in system parameters.  In some cases this is to control certain unit test options such as:
>>>
>>> 	http://fisheye.jboss.org/browse/Infinispan/trunk/cachestore/jdbc/src/test/java/org/infinispan/test/fwk/UnitTestDatabaseManager.java?r=1957#l53
>>> 	http://fisheye.jboss.org/browse/Infinispan/trunk/cachestore/cloud/src/integrationtest/java/org/infinispan/loaders/cloud/CloudCacheStoreFunctionalIntegrationTest.java?r=1845#l46
>>> 	http://fisheye.jboss.org/browse/Infinispan/trunk/core/src/test/java/org/infinispan/test/fwk/TransactionSetup.java?r=722#l46
>>>
>>> And in some cases these control runtime options such as:
>>>
>>> 	http://fisheye.jboss.org/browse/Infinispan/trunk/core/src/main/java/org/infinispan/config/InfinispanConfiguration.java?r=1951#l362
>>> 	http://fisheye.jboss.org/browse/Infinispan/trunk/server/rest/src/main/scala/org/infinispan/rest/StartupListener.scala?r=1863#l33
>>> 	http://fisheye.jboss.org/browse/Infinispan/trunk/server/core/src/main/scala/org/infinispan/server/core/Main.scala?r=1954#l169
>>>
>>> And we occasionally use Properties to configure certain bits, such as certain Hot Rod and Memcached server options:
>>>
>>> 	http://fisheye.jboss.org/browse/Infinispan/trunk/server/core/src/main/scala/org/infinispan/server/core/AbstractProtocolServer.scala?r=1898#l24
>>>
>>> And even Hot Rod client configs.
>>>
>>> 	http://fisheye.jboss.org/browse/Infinispan/trunk/client/hotrod-client/src/main/java/org/infinispan/client/hotrod/RemoteCacheManager.java?r=1999#l167
>>>
>>> And here are some examples of what the keys to these properties are:
>>>
>>> 	infinispan.jclouds.username
>>> 	infinispan.jdbc
>>> 	infinispan.tm
>>> 	infinispan.config.schema
>>> 	infinispan.server.rest.cfg
>>> 	program.name
>>> 	infinispan.server.host
>>> 	infinispan.hotrod-client.servers-default
>>>
>>> I would like to standardise on these a bit.  It would (a) make it easier to document and (b) provide a greater level of consistency.  So here is what I propose:
>>>
>>> * All system and property keys start with "infinispan."
>>> * Properties destined to control the way the test suite runs should have ".test."
>>> * The next bit should be the relevant affected module.  E.g., ".server.hotrod."  or ".server.rest." or ".client.hotrod.", or ".server." for stuff that is common across all server endpoints.
>>> * and the last bit could be descriptive to what the key controls.  E.g., ".host".
>>>
>>> So, from above, the examples would look like:
>>>
>>> 	infinispan.test.cachestore.jclouds.username
>>> 	infinispan.test.cachestore.jdbc.driver
>>> 	infinispan.test.core.tm
>>> 	infinispan.core.config.schema
>>> 	infinispan.server.cfg
>>> 	(program.name?  Don't know what this is... )
>>> 	infinispan.server.host
>>> 	infinispan.client.hotrod.servers
>>>
>>> What do you guys think?  If we agree on this, this would involve:

>>> 2) Still read the "legacy" property but spit out a warning