[infinispan-dev] Possible error of dependency on infinispan-query pom

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Wed Jul 14 05:02:46 EDT 2010

I believe that's the proper way.
We do have a dependency on slf4j the API / facade.
Then a user needs to decide which underlying implementation it wants to use. To do that he embeds the right binder (eg slf4j-log4j). If you force slf4j-log4j in HSearch dependencies, you force choice to people. They have to either exclude it manually, deal with it or worse log where they don't expect to log.

I think Ceki has been thinking about using the JDK logging mechanism if no binder is present in the classpath. I don't know if / when that will make it through.

<para>Hibernate Search utilizes <ulink
    url="http://www.slf4j.org/">Simple Logging Facade for Java</ulink> (SLF4J)
    in order to log various system events. SLF4J can direct your logging
    output to several logging frameworks (NOP, Simple, log4j version 1.2, JDK
    1.4 logging, JCL or logback) depending on your chosen binding. In order to
    setup logging properly you will need <filename>slf4j-api.jar</filename> in
    your classpath together with the jar file for your preferred binding -
    <filename>slf4j-log4j12.jar</filename> in the case of Log4J. See the SLF4J
    <ulink type=""
    url="http://www.slf4j.org/manual.html">documentation</ulink> for more
    detail.</para>