[infinispan-dev] Hotrod client intelligence

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Tue Jul 20 06:59:45 EDT 2010

On 20 Jul 2010, at 11:48, Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 20 Jul 2010, at 11:45, Mircea Markus wrote:

>>> Transaction aware clients have nothing to do with "intelligence" in that it doesn't affect the way clients discover or route connections to the back-end.
>> not in that sense.
>>>  Pls don't pollute this field with orthogonal characteristics.
>> Then transaction should be supported by all clients implementing the protocol?
>
> No, but if a client doesn't start a tx, then the backend doesn't care if the client can or cannot ever support transactions, right?

Each HotRod operation needs to contain the tx id, if it is part of a transaction.
a) either we add this now, in 4.1, before protocol completes
b) or we add it in 5.0 together as per this JIRA. If so, server would need to be aware that client is transactional aware, hence the new intelligence level I was taking about
with b clients that don't support tx would't need to send an additional field. We had this discussion on a separate thread with galder, I can live with either one of the two.