[infinispan-dev] Eviction thread and purging expired entries

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Wed Jul 21 11:39:19 EDT 2010

Wrong again. Actually the point still stands: no use in calling cacheStore.purge if expiration is not used, on the contrary.
That would add an unnecessary burden on the store and potentially add a lot of contention: e.g. FileCacheStore would RL the whole store, time in which the eviction thread is not able to write(passivate).

On 21 Jul 2010, at 16:21, Mircea Markus wrote:

> Ignore me. Actually this is already there and enabled by default, at cache store level (purgeSynchronously = false).
> On 21 Jul 2010, at 15:46, Vladimir Blagojevic wrote:
>
>> Yes this needs to be addressed. What I would certainly argue against is another configuration option for purging cache store. Try explaining that to average user :)
>>
>> Why can't he allocate more memory to target the plateau of projected memory usage? Or is this some temporary memory spike in his use case that can not be avoided.
>>

>> On 2010-07-21, at 9:24 AM, Mircea Markus wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Eviction thread does two things right now:
>>> - evict stuff from DataContainer
>>> - purge entries from a CacheStore
>>>
>>> CacheStore.purge might slow down eviction as it is generally an expensive operation. It might not even be needed, if the users don't use expiration.
>>> What about:
>>> a) making EvictionThread.purgeCacheStore configurable.
>>> or/and
>>> b) use another thread for purging the store.
>>>
>>> This doesn't came out of the blue, there's a user that has eviction+cache store configured with eviction thread wakeup set to 1 sec - he still gets OOM.
>>>
>>> Wdyt?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mircea