[infinispan-dev] Findings of ISPN-508 - Portable serialization marshaller

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Thu Jul 22 04:27:11 EDT 2010

See below:

On Jul 22, 2010, at 2:46 AM, Mircea Markus wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Re: https://jira.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-508. This is a bit of a long one, so take your time :)
>>
>> Over past few days I've been trying to come up with a Infinispan Marshaller implementation based on one of those portable serialization libraries (i.e. protobuf, thrift...etc) and I've reached the conclusion that it is possible to do so but requires a fair bit of work on our side and performance/usability would decrease. Before explaining my findings, let me explain the model that I'm trying to achieve:
>>
>> I want to build a generic marshalling/unmarshalling implementation that's based on language neutral serialization libraries and which does not require the unmarshalling code to have knowledge of the target type. Think about Java Serialization or JBoss Marshalling where the code written can be generic enough w/o needing to know what we're trying to deserialize. The payload in these cases has enough information for the underlying library to figure out the type, instantiate it and populate it accordingly.
>>
>> The problem is that there's no such library in the space of portable serialization libraries that provides this out of the box and let me explain why:
>>
>> Pretty much any code using those libraries must use class type or schema name to deserialize the payload. However, Infinispan based Marshaller does not have such information when it's trying to deserialize the payload. Infinispan Marshaller based on JDK serialization or JBoss Marshalling uses information in the payload to instantiate the object. However, none of the libraries out there use this mechanism and instead some (i.e. Protobufs) force the client code to do things like: Pojo.parseFrom(byte[]) to generate instances of Pojo. In these cases for example, nothing stops you from writing a UTF-8 string with the class name and put it at the beginning of the payload so the deserialization part can be class agnostic, but this payload would not be portable. What would a python client do with a String containing the java class name?
> I only know Protbuf from literature, so I might be wrong with this.
> As an example, let's say you want keep in the grid a Person object that can be read from both a java and c++ client through hotrod.
> The way I see it is: you first describe it in Person.proto from which you generate the Proto.java and Proto.cpp using protoc.
> Now for each existing client you have to have "ProtoBufMarshaller"  that serialize a Person object as follows:
> - first  writes the .proto name of that object (in this case "Person")
> - the writes the Person using protobufs (language neutral)
>
> When reading:
> - it reads "Person"
> - based on a configuration/mapping it knows that "Person" maps to a Person object
>
> I reckon the serialisation of metadata in a language neutral way is the most difficult thing - unless you can define metadata itself in a .proto file?

This is pretty much what I've done in https://jira.jboss.org/secure/attachment/12335620/protobuf-sandbox2.zip with DynamicMarshallingProtobuf and what I explained below. I write the proto name of the descriptor and then use it on the reading part to map it to java class.

However, see the disadvantages of doing this. Requires extra compilation strep need to generate the file descriptor set and then some configuration for them to pass it to us. I haven't seen any client code to read .proto files directly and the idea of FileDescriptorSet is that all .protos involved are bundled into a binary file. On top of that, the approach relies on using reflection to deserialize which is slower than pure Person.parseFrom(byte[]). So, the advantages are not so clear when the user can simply pass the byte[] to us and they can very easily transform it back to a Pojo in a single line. All this without any extra configuration, no extra compilation, no extra bytes in payload, and no reflection.

> [...]
>>
>> So, I can see two solutions here bearing in mind that pretty much any solution would require precompiling some classes:
>>
>> - Try to build a marshaller using Protobuf or MessagePack where we enhance it to pass a string key that permits the reading part to deserialize the payload in a generic way.
>>
>> - Or try to build some wikis on how to integrate Protobuf/Thrift/MessagePack with Hot Rod client so that they can generate the byte[] with these libraries and pass it to the corresponding Hot Rod client. For the moment, we'd do this for the Hot Rod java client. We would add more info once other language clients are available. The reason I said about potentially showing various libraries is cos whereas Protobuf only supports Java/Python/C++, Thrift supports loads more languages ( C++, Java, Python, PHP, Ruby, Erlang, Perl, Haskell, C#, Cocoa, Smalltalk, and OCaml)
>>
>> In terms of usability , I think the second option is a bit better because building the marshaller requires steps for clients to generate the FileDescriptorSet and somehow pass this to Infinispan so that the marshaller can use it. The second option has none of this and the only added code on the client side is retrieving the byte[] and calling Pojo.parseFrom(byte[]). Performance wise, the 2nd option would be better cos there's no extra hacking needed to pass the String key around and so less bytes are sent around, and no need to use reflection to resolve the payload.
>>
>> It's a pity that I couldn't find a tool that fully fits our use case and I wonder whether the need to deal with different languages makes coming up with such solution difficult. I believe reflection based instantiation is present in C++ or Python but not sure about other languages. It's also true that our use case is very specific where we're building a tool where we don't have control over what people will put in the cache. Generics could give us some hints for example but it's not mandatory and would not solve the issue entirely.
>>
>> Thoughts?
> Coherence is using POF for same purpose[1], but I think same thing can be achieved with ProtoBuf more easily: POF requires client to write the serialisation by hand; it also doesn't support circular dependencies (does ProtoBufs support that?)

Yeah, I'm leaning towards something like that where we can use Protobuf to write basic type/collections in a portable way, and anyone wanting to use custom objects to do something along those lines. These custom objects would use a facade we'd provide to write strings, ints...etc and they'd call that. Behind that there'll be Protobuf or something similar that writes stuff in a portable way.

>> --
>> Galder Zamarreño
>> Sr. Software Engineer
>> Infinispan, JBoss Cache