[infinispan-dev] Distributed execution framework

Jeff Ramsdale jeff.ramsdale at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 13:11:04 EDT 2010

Hi Vladimir,

It's been a small dream of mine to integrate Infinispan and Rio
(http://www.rio-project.org/), which is built on Jini and is a mature
platform for building and deploying scalable, dynamic, distributed
applications, including service deployment, instrumentation, and SLAs.
A first step would be to deploy Infinispan itself to run on Rio's
framework (I've had some preliminary success with this). In itself
this would be a powerful combination as Rio could potentially use
Infinispan's exposed instrumentation to dynamically reshape the
cluster to respond to load. Additionally, through its ability to
manage the deployment of services it could handle all the distribution
of work to Infinispan nodes should there be occasion to "move the code
to the data rather than the data to the code."

The Infinispan community could write these things from scratch, but
Jini and Rio have already solved many of the difficult issues around
managing compute grids but they don't provide a data grid. Infinispan
as a data grid fits with Rio very well indeed. Rio is Apache 2.0
licensed. The Jini code previously owned by Sun has been donated to
become Apache River:
http://incubator.apache.org/river/RIVER/index.html and, of course, is
also Apache 2.0 licensed. It might be of interest to this community
that recent work has resulted in some integration between Drools and
Rio to provide distributed service policy handler enforcement. See the
Rio source for a running example (with UI).

Another interesting project (built on the platform suggested above)
would be to create an Infinispan-backed JavaSpaces implementation, but
that's a post for another time...

-jeff