[infinispan-dev] Key locking order in LockingInterceptor

Vladimir Blagojevic vblagoje at redhat.com
Fri Jun 11 14:33:43 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am trying to figure out why SingleJoinTask sometimes fails due to TimeoutException. I noticed that invalidate command sends out bunch of keys to be invalidated across cluster and in turn LockingInterceptor tries to lock these keys one by one. In few other methods LockingInterceptor also tries to lock a list of keys sequentially. Without knowing the full details of locking mechanism this practice seems to be dangerously susceptible to deadlocks. Shouldn't we require all keys to be Comparable so that we can order keys prior to any locking attempts in LockingInterceptor.

Maybe I am not understand all the details; I would like to be proven that I am completely off :)

Regards,
Vladimir