[infinispan-dev] Notifications for cache entry expired

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Fri Jun 18 17:44:59 EDT 2010

It is possible, yes, but it will never be very accurate since entries are only tested for whether they are expired in one of several ways:

1.  A user thread asks for the entry and it has expired.  It will then be removed.
2.  The entry is passivated/overflowed to disk and it has expired.  It will again be removed.
3.  An eviction maintenance thread kicks in and detects that it has expired.  It will again be removed.

So even if a notification is generated, it will not be generated at the time the entry expired, but rather at the time Infinispan realises the entry has expired (which may be later).

Also, what is the purpose of this?  It does add quite a bit of overhead.

Cheers
Manik