[infinispan-dev] DataGrid Profile in JBoss AS

Navin Surtani nsurtani at redhat.com
Wed Jun 30 08:05:38 EDT 2010

On 30 Jun 2010, at 11:39, Manik Surtani wrote:

> <SNIP />

> I was actually expecting this to be built as a module in
> Infinispan's source tree, the deliverable being a ZIP file that
> contains a "datagrid" directory and all the necessary elements that
> can be run as a profile in AS/EAP 5.1.

I'm guessing within ISPN sources we just have a "datagrid" module?

>  Considering that most of the work involved would be XML config
> files (MC beans) and perhaps an integration class or two, I don't
> see the need for it to affect the AS source tree (at least not in
> it's current "tech preview" state).

Agreed, let's not touch the AS source tree where possible. Simply
because of the size and complexity of it.

> <SNIP />

> I was hoping to target AS/EAP 5.x first and then move on to 6, but
> FWIW any such profile for 6 should then make use of Paul's work in
> deploying a CacheManager.  In the case of HotRod and Memcached,
> setting up an endpoint involves selecting the appropriate
> ProtocolServer implementation

Again, +1, it makes sense to start there since there is probably a
much bigger user-base for 5.x. More people using it, more bugs
reported since it's just gonna be a preview. More bugs reported =
better versions of this profile come AS/EAP 6.x which I believe is
where we expect this profile to be a lot more useful?

> 	http://fisheye.jboss.org/browse/Infinispan/trunk/server/core/src/main/scala/org/infinispan/server/core/ProtocolServer.scala?r=1886
>
> and calling start() on it with the CacheManager to be used.
>
> The REST endpoint is a little more tricky as it is a WAR file that
> Infinispan generates that would need to be deployed in a servlet
> container.  The current WAR file creates its own CacheManager but we
> can change this to look up a CacheManager from elsewhere if
> configured to do so (perhaps via servlet or system properties).
>
> Cheers
> --
> Manik Surtani
> manik at jboss.org