[infinispan-dev] hotrod client - initial connection

Galder Zamarreno galder at redhat.com
Wed Mar 10 11:21:12 EST 2010

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:08:23 +0100, Mircea Markus
<mircea.markus at jboss.com> wrote:

> Hi Galder,
>
> Here are some thoughts I have about how the hotrod client performs
> initial connection to the HR servers:
> A list of servers is statically configured so that the client can
> connect to any of them
>              1. client will ping each configured server until it finds
> one that is up and running
>              2. at this point it will stop(i.e. not query other
> statically configured servers) and query this server for the cluster
> topology

The idea was that rather than querying for the cluster topology, the
client would register for notification it's interested in. From the wiki:

"Before any the server can send any notifications, clients need to
register and indicate which events they're interested in. To do that, they
have to send a request like this:

[request header][events]"

So, if a client was interested in topology change notifications, it would
tell the server accordingly.

>              3. a a response to this query, the server informs the
> client about hotrod cluster topology (which might be different than
> infinispan cluster, right?)

Although not specified in the wiki, I would assume that once you register
with the server, the server would push the current topology, no need for
further requests from client.

>              4. based on this information client builds a pool of
> connections to the servers
>              5. client register itself as cluster formation listener,
> and update the list of active servers whenever the topology changes
> (cluster formation might not be the best name for this listener as it
> only refers to the time when cluster is formed, what about cluster
> topology listener?)

You'd still need a listener like the one you mention based on the
information received from the server(s).

> How does this sound to you?
> </snip>
>
> Cheers,
> Mircea