[infinispan-dev] Hot Rod protocol design at CR stage. Feedback welcome

Galder Zamarreno galder at redhat.com
Thu Mar 25 07:27:32 EDT 2010

Mircea/Manik,

There's a final thing I'm not too happy about and that's the response to
the stats command. In the current form, the reply to a paramaterless stats
command that returns all stats available looks like this:

[header][name1 length][name1][value1 length][value1]
[header][name2 length][name2][value2 length][value2]
[header] -> This would be the end marker

This looks quite wasteful since we're adding a header per each stat.
Instead I suggest doing:

[header][number of stats][name1 length][name1][value1
length][value1][name2 length][name2][value2 length][value2]...

This is less wasteful and having the number of stats at the beginning
signals how much to read.

WDYT?

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:48:26 +0100, Galder Zamarreno <galder at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After having yet another round of discussions, we consider the Hot Rod
> protocol design at CR stage. Here's the final results:
> http://community.jboss.org/wiki/HotRodProtocol
>
> While me and Mircea are busy coding both the server and client, please
> take some time to have a read through it and let us know what you think.
>
> By the way, remember that we've deferred certain functionality for the
> moment as indicated in a previous email:
> [ISPN-375] Enable Hot Rod clients to start transactions [Open, Major,
> Galder Zamarreno] http://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-375
> [ISPN-374] Add event handling to Hot Rod [Open, Major, Galder Zamarreno]
> http://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-374
>
> Cheers,

Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache