[infinispan-dev] HotRod, ClientIntelligence and client-side key location

Galder Zamarreno galder at redhat.com
Tue Mar 30 12:43:31 EDT 2010

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:01:52 +0100, Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org> wrote:

> On 26 Mar 2010, at 08:42, Galder Zamarreno wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:12:19 +0100, Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org>
>> wrote:

>>> Umm, not sure what you mean.  This is has nothing to do with server (or
>>> even endpoint) count... I would have thought this is sent along with
>>> hash function version.
>>
>> Oh right, so what you're implying is that the version itself defines the
>> corresponding hash space size? When I first read it, I thought clients
>> could pass different space size for each version, hence why I was
>> wondering if it should be part of the protocol.
>
> No, no - it should be a part of the protocol.
>
> What I meant by "Sent alongside hash function version" is:
>
>    ... bytes... [hash function version][hash space size] ... bytes...
>
> I foresee making the hash space size a tuning parameter in the future.
> This is independent of hash function used.

So, back to my original point, if you're sending this together with the
hash function version, you need to include "hash space size" in the
response header, don't u? To refresh memory, when a server detects a
topology change, it will send back the cluster formation plus: hash
function version and number of owners. So, if you want the client to apply
the hash function correctly, you'd need to let it know about the hash
space size as well, correct?

>>> Cheers
>>> Manik
>>> --