[infinispan-dev] ISPN-275

Sanne Grinovero sanne.grinovero at gmail.com
Thu May 6 10:53:09 EDT 2010

2010/5/6 Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org>:

> On 5 May 2010, at 22:44, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>> to properly close ISPN-275 I should be able to run the testuite for
>> both versions of Lucene 2.9.1 and 3.0.1.
>> I'd like to have both tests covered as the two versions of Lucene are
>> quite different, and while 3.0 is the current cool version it's very
>> easy to still support older widely adopted versions, as far as our
>> directory concerns.
>>
>> Running the tests manually changing the Lucene dependency to 2.4.1,
>> 2.9.2, 3.0.1 works fine, but any clue about how I could automate this
>> with maven?
>
> This can be tricky.  I suppose you would need a separate module, with different dependencies.  E.g.,
>
> <root>/lucene-directory (the main codebase, with Lucene 3.0)
> <root>/lucene-tests/lucene-directory-tests-2.9 (dependency on lucene-directory, excluding lucene 3.0, with additional dep on lucene 2.9)
> <root>/lucene-tests/lucene-directory-tests-2.4 (dependency on lucene-directory, excluding lucene 3.0, with additional dep on lucene 2.4)

I thought the same, I'll ask some Maven guru to see if there's a
solution to avoid messing with your layout.
Maybe this could work for you? :
<root>/lucene-directory (using latest and greatest Lucene)
<root>/lucene-directory/lucene-2.9-tests
<root>/lucene-directory/lucene-2.4-tests
It's likely the only option, as the subtle API changes involve some
lines of code which need to be changed - so I'll also have to minimize
code duplication.

>> Or if you think it's good enough to test for 3.0 or 2.9 only, then you
>> can consider the issue fixed.
>
> Your call.  Are the codepaths that different?

yes there are great differences; as this is a new technology I would
normally suggest to drop support for older versions, but nearly all
existing products which could mostly benefit from this module are
using ancient Lucene versions, and are very conservative in upgrading
as it needs quite some design changes.