[infinispan-dev] OT: etymology Re: ISPN-232 - feedback needed

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon May 24 12:30:25 EDT 2010

On 05/24/2010 07:09 AM, Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 24 May 2010, at 12:55, Mircea Markus wrote:
>

>> On 24 May 2010, at 14:10, Manik Surtani wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there
>>>
>>> * Do you have an example usage?  I presume the entry point here is the KeyAffinityServiceFactory?  Perhaps some usage examples in the KeyAffinityServiceFactory javadoc would be best, both for now and in future to document the API.
>> added sample usage in KeyAffinityService together with some other aspects.
>>>
>>> * KeyAffinityService.getCollocatedKey() ->  KeyAffinityService.getColocatedKey() (typo)
>> The bundled IDEA speller (I'm not able to configure a locale for it) sees "collocated" as the right spelling. Also the "New English American Dictionary" on my mac book only recognises "collocated". Is this some of UK/US difference in spelling?
>
> Hmm, actually both spellings are considered correct.  Ok, stick with Collocation then...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colocation_centre

 From [1] and [2] it appears "collocated" has a much longer history and
is derived from the latin "collocare", hence the seemingly unnatural
double 'l'.  "Colocated" is much more recent and is constructed in a
normal manner for an English neologism.

As neither is incorrect, Mircea wrote the API, and he is a speaker of a
romance language, I say we honor his roots and double that l!

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/collocated
[2] http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/colocated

--
Brian Stansberry