[infinispan-dev] ISPN-232 - feedback needed

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Tue May 25 10:22:56 EDT 2010

On 25 May 2010, at 15:09, Mircea Markus wrote:

>>> Can't we register an *async* notification listener on ViewChanged ?
>>
>> You'd still have a *lot* of notifications being queued up for the notification executor since you will have 1 event *per entry* that is moved.
> this would still happen in the same JVM as this information is needed. Just that we offer this as a service, so that users(AS being one of them) won't have to write this code.

No, if the AS does it, it will be one notification (view change) + a scan of known session ids (keys).  If we do it, it will involve 1 notification *per key* being migrated.  The cost of each notification is the construction and initialization of an event object - which includes cloning the invocation context - and placing it on an executor queue.

>> Could be thousands, tens of thousands in cases.
>> All other notifications will be severely delayed (depending on your async notifier executor threadpool size)
> If you have an big enough thread pool (actually at least 2 threads) this should be no issue - and this should be made clear to the user.

Executor queue size?  This could start blocking?