[infinispan-dev] Why does GlobalComponentRegistry have a shutdown hook?

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Thu Nov 18 04:42:12 EST 2010

On Nov 17, 2010, at 6:57 PM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> I've removed the shutdown hook stuff from GCR and the issue is now gone.
>
> I'll be sending a pull on this tomorrow.

Hmmm, what is the point of the setShutdownHookBehavior configuration?

I don't see why Infinispan core should care about this. When running servers, we do need a shutdown hook so that if people do a Ctrl+C, we can shutdown netty and Infinispan. But I don't see why Infinispan core and GCR should really have to deal with this at all. IOW, whoever writes a main or similar class should be responsible to create the corresponding shutdown hook, not us.

In another twist of things, I've just realised that actual issue is that the following line is missing in trunk:
cacheManager.getGlobalConfiguration.setShutdownHookBehavior(ShutdownHookBehavior.DONT_REGISTER)

This was introduced into the 4.2.x branch as part of ISPN-496 (http://fisheye.jboss.org/changelog/Infinispan/?cs=1952) but this particular piece of code did not make it to trunk for some reason (http://fisheye.jboss.org/changelog/Infinispan/?cs=1954)

No idea why. Anyway, it should be fixed now, https://jira.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-779 should only be affecting 5.x.

> On Nov 17, 2010, at 6:50 PM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>
>> Why does GlobalComponentRegistry have a shutdown hook? It's not runnable on its own, like Infinispan servers are, so I don't see the point of a shutdown hook there. Any cleanup, which should be done within stop() is already called via DCM.stop().
>>
>> This, together with the changes introduced by https://jira.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-771 are causing issues in standalone environments where other shutdown hooks run, i.e. when you do kill -3 on an Infinispan server
>>
>> See https://jira.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-779
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Galder Zamarreño