[infinispan-dev] Rehashing on view changes

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Fri Nov 26 08:50:58 EST 2010

Quick question: when I have a view {A,B,C,D,E,F} at time T and then
receive 2 subsequent views within 3 seconds:

- {A,B,C}
- {A,B,C,E,F}

will there be 2 rehashes / rebalancings, or 1 ? Is there a delay that
can be configured for rebalancing on view changes ?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm working on RELAY for JGroups, which
will allow for distribution of data across geographically separate
clusters, e.g. NYC={A,B,C} and SFO={D,E,F}.

NYC and SFO are linked by a relay, and the global view is therefore
{A,B,C,D,E,F}.

A is responsible for establishing a global view for NYC, and D does the
same for SFO.

What happens in NYC when D crashes, or leaves is:
- All nodes from the remote cluster are removed from the global view:
{A,B,C}
- E then takes over as coordinator in SFO and establishes a bridge
cluster with A, so A now installs {A,B,C,E,F}

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team