[infinispan-dev] New draft for distributed execution framework

"이희승 (Trustin Lee)" trustin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 07:56:46 EST 2010

On 11/30/2010 07:11 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:
> Hi Trustin
>
> Thanks for this.  A few comments:
>
> * 1st section, by node affinity, I presume you mean data locality?

Yes.  Let me fix it.

> * 2nd section: data processing tasks would be sent out to specific nodes where required data is available.  Not to every node.

You're right again. :-)

> * Do we want to support this for replicated mode?  Typically, replicated clusters will be small and won't really benefit from task execution.  Maybe we add in support for replication later, if there is adequate demand?  It shouldn't change the API, etc.

For example, a user might want to run a cluster of 100 nodes with 2
replicas just like Google File System does.  Why is such cluster
supposed to be small?  Could you elaborate?

> * +1 re: multi-cores on each node.  I presume this would rely on an Executor set up on each node for this purpose?  And a user would have the opportunity to configure this executor (e.g., based on the type of hardware in use)?

Yes, that's what I intended.

> * Could you define where each of these tasks are executed?  E.g., in a grid of {A, B, C, D} and you invoke your example on A, the local tasks happen on any node which contains the data it needs, while the global task happens on A?  Surely in many cases it makes sense to "reduce" before pushing results (final or intermediate) on the network?

Each node runs the first two sub-tasks and then one node is chosen to
run the last one.  Timeline will look like this: