[infinispan-dev] batching API and DummyTM

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Mon Sep 13 14:01:18 EDT 2010

On 13 Sep 2010, at 18:03, Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 13 Sep 2010, at 17:00, Mircea Markus wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thinking some more about batching API(thanks galder!) I think its main benefit it brings is allowing users to use transactions without having to set up/download an TransactionManager.
>
> Nope.  The main benefit is atomic grouping of tasks.  This is less than full blown JTA (no coordination between multiple data sources).
Nope :) For grouping of task, batching starts a JTA tx under the hood. The behaviour is the same, API is different.

>> Very similar to what Brian was describing here: http://community.jboss.org/wiki/BatchModeTransactionManager
>> "This is all great, but there are uses cases where it's nice to have many of these benefits without the involvement of a JTA Transaction"
>>
>> I think we should allow people a similar approach, having our own BatchModeTransactionManagerLookup and BatchModeTransactionManager.
>> Again, this is something to be used when users don't need distributed transactions, and don't want to get their hands dirty with setting up a TM.
>
> Not sure I understand this statement - what is it that you want to do here?  And why?
I got now. I thought that, besides specifying setInvocationBatchingEnabled one also needs to specify a TM for batch support. I was wrong, the confusion in this email. Hope I'll make up by updating the documents correctly :)