[infinispan-dev] support for extending Infinispan

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Tue Sep 14 06:17:15 EDT 2010

On 13 Sep 2010, at 18:05, Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 13 Sep 2010, at 17:19, Mircea Markus wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been working on an POC for continuous-query in ISPN. This runs on top of Drools, and is a independent mvn module.
>> One of the things I needed to do was broadcasting remote commands and make them available in the interceptor chain. As Infinispan does only support a fixed number of Commands and I cannot  (and don't want to) add a new command as I am in a different module, I hacked the PutKeyValue: on special key values, my interceptors know that  they should handle it. This way, PutKeyValue is not a put per se, but a way to facilitate RPC and an ugly hack :)
>
> What "command" is this, what do you need to be able to broadcast?
It would be a GenericVisitableCommand, see bellow.
In my scenario I need to broadcast query definitions and queries. More to come potentially.

>> I was thinking that a GenericCommand that would contain a Map of parameters would be handy for this scenario. Also a method on the visitor, visitGenericCommand. This would allow integration projects (like cq) to be done nicely. If this sounds appealing I can detail..
>
> -1.  This sounds like it opens a huge can of worms, making things hard to maintain and open to abuse.
Maintenance shouldn't be a problem as we won't support other people's code.
> Commands should be very specific and properly typed.
That's imposible in my scenario, as I am in a different module. I can add the command to the core, but that's not the way to do it.