[infinispan-dev] Infinispan Large Scale support

Bela Ban bban at redhat.com
Tue Apr 5 05:09:54 EDT 2011

On 4/4/11 5:45 PM, david marion wrote:

>    Good news! I was able to use the system property from ISPN-83 and remove the FLUSH from the jgroups config with 4.2.1.FINAL, and start-up times are much much better. We have a replicated cache on about 420+ nodes up in under 2 minutes.

Great ! Just to confirm: this is 420+ Infinispan instances, with
replication enabled, correct ?

Did you use a specific JGroups config (e.g. udp-largecluster.xml) ?

> I am seeing an issue with the distributed cache though with as little as 5 nodes.
>
>    In the coordinator log I see
>
> org.infinispan.distribution.DistributionmanagerImpl: Detected a view change. Member list changed.......
> org.infinispan.distribution.DistributionmanagerImpl: This is a JOIN event! Wait for notification from new joiner<name>
>
>    In the log from the joining node I see:
>
> org.infinispan.distribution.JoinTask: Commencing rehash on node:<name>. Before start, distributionManager.joinComplete=false
> org.infinispan.distribution.JoinTask: Requesting old consistent hash from coordinator
>
>    I jstack'd the joiner, the DefaultCacheManager.getCache() method is waiting on org.infinispan.distribution.DistributionManagerImpl.waitForJoinToComplete() and the Rehasher thread
>    is waiting on:
>
> at org.infinispan.util.concurrent.ReclosableLatch.await(ReclosableLatch.java:75)
> at org.infinipsan.remoting.transport.jgroups.JGroupsDistSync.blockUntilNoJoinsInProgress(JGroupsDistSync.java:113)
>
> Any thoughts?

I recently took a look at the distribution code, and this part is very
brittle with respect to parallel startup and merging. Plus, I believe
the (blocking) RPC to fetch the old CH from the coordinator might
deadlock in certain cases...

I've got a pull request for a push based rebalancing versus pull based
rebalancing pending. It'll likely make it into 5.x, as a matter of fact
I've got a chat about this this afternoon.