[infinispan-dev] [ISPN-78] Alternative interface for writing large objects

Olaf Bergner olaf.bergner at gmx.de
Tue Apr 5 06:53:56 EDT 2011

Am 05.04.11 10:27, schrieb Galder Zamarreño:
> On Apr 4, 2011, at 11:50 AM, Olaf Bergner wrote:
>
>> Hi Galder,
>>
>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>>> Datum: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 11:01:21 +0200
>>> Von: "Galder Zamarreño"<galder at redhat.com>
>>> Actually, it's not that simple, it needs to be adaptive but it might be
>>> going into the territory of virtual nodes and sizing of virtual nodes. The
>>> key thing of choosing the nodes to store the chunks is that there should be
>>> enough memory in the node where it lands. IOW, if a 5GB dvd is being chunked
>>> into 100MB pieces, it would not make sense sending chunks to a node that
>>> does not have memory to fit that.
>> Is there an JMX interface for querying a node's available memory? Would it otherwise make sense to add one?
> Actually, you should follow Sanne's advice who's worked on a similar type of problem for the Lucene directory impl based on Infinispan and not worry about it.
That's the conclusion I arrived at. Just removed any code aiming at
guaranteeing that no two chunks be stored on the same node.

Cheers,
Olaf

P.S.: Unfortunately I won't make it to your presentation in Berlin. I
just bought the ticket, but my doctor strongly advised me against it.
For once, I will try to be a well-behaved patient. Sad, though.