[infinispan-dev] cache name in logs

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Fri Apr 29 11:33:32 EDT 2011

On 29 Apr 2011, at 16:26, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> Am 29.04.11 16:55, schrieb Galder Zamarreño:
>> On Apr 28, 2011, at 11:47 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:
>>
>>> We do now support JBoss Logging.
>>>
>>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-380
>>>
>>> @Galder, does JBoss Logging have support for what Mircea mentioned below?
>> I've skimmed through the javadoc but didn't see anything in particular for this at least around the message loggers which are the ones that help with internationalization.
>>
>> I think it could be fitted but would require a fair amount of changes, such as making some static loggers, particularly those for named cache components non static in order to take the cache name. Maybe you could have a named cache component for a log factory?
> A workaround that IMHO feels a little hackish though would be to simply
> append the current cache's name to the class name when instantiating a
> logger:
>
> logger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(getClass().getName() + "[cache = " +
> cacheName + "]")
>
> I wouldn't recommend this.
That would also require having a logger/class instance, and not make the logger  static. For my scenario (DisttributionManagerImpl) that might work as there's a single DisttributionManagerImpl per Cache.
Besides not being able to make the logger static. any other reasons for not going with this approach?