[infinispan-dev] changes introduced by optimistic transactions

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Tue Aug 2 11:45:03 EDT 2011

> I'm afraid we're mixing concerns, I didn't ask to allow both
> transactional and non-transactional operations on the same cache, I
> understand there are good reasons to not support that.
>
> What I need is control for batching, i.e. be able to send a set of
> writes on different keys at one specific point in time, combined with
> the capability to avoid repeatable reads in the same cache: definitely
> there are many ways to emulate a similar behaviour, I could collect
> all writes in a map and then send async operations and block on them
> all, or open transactions for the span of single operations when I
> don't need to batch.
> Consider as well that I might be pushing a thousand of packages of
> 10MB each, I'm not of the idea that keeping these in a distributed
> transaction log is healthy for performance since I don't need rollback
> capabilities, being this already handled by Lucene.
Right, after a long discussion and  brain storming here is the proposed solution:

Short version:  you'll have to set autoCommit=true and use1PcForInducedTransaction=true. Actually this will be the default value for the two attributes so you won't have to do any change to your existing code, nor configuration. The existing performance will be preserved, i.e. out-of-tx calls are handled within 1RPC.
Long version: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1297