[infinispan-dev] build failures on jenkins

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Wed Aug 3 02:18:04 EDT 2011

On Aug 2, 2011, at 6:33 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> 2011/8/2 Galder Zamarreño <galder at redhat.com>:
>> Here's the JIRA: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1298
>
> Fine for me, but I don't understand why you had me remove the
> log4j.xml file from the test resources in the module, aren't we
> achieving the same effect?

The problem of a file called 'log4j.xml' is that log4j automatically tries to find it and will use it everytime the testsuite is run.

I see logging as being something selective, something you sometimes enable but most of the time is disabled. So, what I wanted to avoid having files called 'log4j.xml' all over the place. Imagine the sort of problems that appear if you relied on a module that already defines a log4j.xml  (i.e. infinispan core tests - not that) and you had another 'log4j.xml' in the classpath, which one would be resolved automatically? Which one will log4j choose? You have no idea and based on past experience, it's a royal PITA figuring out why your log4j.xml changes are not having an effect.

It's because of problems like this that I'd prefer names like 'log4j-lucene.xml' or something like that, and you selectively enable when you need it via a profile...etc.

Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache